The Holidays are almost here. We both don’t really have any affection for Saint Nicolas (Sinterklaas in Dutch) and Christmas used to not be a celebration centered around giving gifts. It used to be a more spiritual holiday and I personally think it’s the time for being together with familie or friends, spending time together and having a good time. One of us now celebrates Christmas with family and gifts because as a family it’s one of the few times we are actually together and Sinterklaas is more of a children’s party. The other Stuffy does not celebrate any of the holidays. But celebrating or not, we would love to share our (combined) wishlist with you on Likeandlove.nl and on our own blog. We hope you find it inspiring!
Ask people for their wishlist and see what happens. Most people come up with lots of stuff they’d like to have. And, to be true, that was our first thought. What things do we want? And right after we’re back at: “But I have everything I need already. I even have too much stuff. I should get rid of some.” Most things are just for short term. After a few weeks (or even hours) they bore you already. That’s not like us. We would rather have experiences, or make the world a better place, make other people happy… That’s what our wishlist is all about. Let’s go!
- We both really love handmade things and thrifted treasures. What’s better than receiving a gift that the maker put so much time and effort in, especially for you? You can often taste it, feel it, or see it. So for little gifts: homebaked special cookies, a knitted scarf, maybe some all natural beauty products like a lavender crub or a creative ‘journal’ with lovely recipes, photos or memories.
- Via the Dutch Nature Organization you can buy a ‘tree gift’ (see intro picture). Someone buys the coupon for a tree and gives it as a present. You, the receiver, can plant the tree at the annual ‘Tree plant day’ in autumn. How cool is that? Other initiatives like this are: Adopt a chicken (you also get a few eggs each year!), a stray pet, a seal. a goat, a cow or an apple tree. No hassle, just a ‘saved’ animal or some more oxygen in the sky.
- We would love to receive more ‘real mail’. And by that we mean mail in our real life and touchable mailbox. Handwritten and with a stamp on it. We both like to send lovely postcards just for fun and at special occasions. What is better than finding something in the mailbox other than a blue letter from taxes? But most people don’t seem to share our thoughts on that. Just a handful of people send us a card back. It seems to be all about the
easy way these days: Facebook, e-mail and Whatsapp. That is such a pity! And that’s why we hope for a filled mailbox with handwritten cards for 2016.
- High on our wishlist but too expensive for both of us right now is the workshop ‘Vegetarian cooking’ at ‘de Librije‘ in Zwolle. It would be amazing to make such beautiful appetizers and food for once. We are usually more of ‘fast and easy’.
- Also very high on both our wishlists: that all the vegetarian dishes on the menus of restaurants in The Netherlands are actually vegetarian. What do we mean by that? That the cheese is made not with animal rennet but with vegetarian rennet. And don’t use $%#@ gelatin in every cake. It’s not vegetarian and if you want to use something like that (which is often not neccessary) you can use agar agar perfectly fine and it’s a lot healthier. And we are a bit tired of explaining that vegatarian cheese is just that: made from cow’s milk and not vegan cheese!
- Maybe you think we are weird (or annoying!) , if you read our wishes. Maybe you expected products and not adopted animals and vegtarian rennet. Yes, we are weird. And idealists… 😉 And a tad bit green. We can’t help ourselves. We’ll just go on with our list: in 2016 we hope to spend lots of quality time with the people who we love the most. We notice we see people a lot less often because of social media, Whatsapp and e-mail. We want to change that into more face to face contact. And be both love meeting new people so that’s on the list as well 🙂
And now for the want: one of us really wants this jeans by Mud. It’s fair and eco and it looks great on her. So Sint … 😉 And the other Stuffy really likes this sweater dress by Miss Green.
- A day at the spa. Fontana Bad Nieuweschans would be perfection, including the salty pool, all the saunas, a great massage and a veggie/vegan lunch. Like!
- So what do we like to give to get into the real Christmas spirit? So many people have a very tight budget nowadays. Wouldn’t it be lovely to treat somebody to a nice cup of coffee once in a while? Deferred coffee (or suspended coffee) is a way to go about it: you pay for 2 cups of coffee and get one cup. So there’s one coffee left for another customer. Somebody less well-off finds a gift: a coffee paid for by someone else. We like it!