Healthy peanut butter cups, aren’t they a dream come true? When I visited the United States for the first time years ago and I saw the sweet snacks with peanut butter that were on offer on any supermarket aisle I almost flipped. It was amazing! Peanut butter heaven… I think there are not that many peanut butter fans in the Netherlands if you look at how many peanut butter snacks we have (hardly any)…
My absolute favourite became Reese’s peanut butter cups. Milk chocolate on the outside and the inside is sweetened creamy peanut butter: the perfect taste sensation in my mouth. Nowadays you can buy these cups in our country as well. Look in the aisle with the foreign brands at Jumbo supermarkets or Oriental Asian supermarkets. I had one a couple of weeks ago after years without and I really only thought: My gosh, this is way too sweet! And not very vegan. So I became inspired immediately.
Healthy vegan peanut butter cups
You can make peanut butter cups with just 5 ingredients, in about half an hour. It’s quite convenient if you have a muffin tin for very small muffins or cupcakes. And small muffin paper cups. If you don’t have those you can also oil the tin to get the cups out when they are ready to enjoy.
– a 100 gram vegan pure chocolate bar (I use at least 72%, but the higher the percentige of cocoa, the healthier because: less sugar)
– 2 large tablespoons of pure peanut butter with no additions (either with or without chunks)
– 1 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
– 2 small tablespoons coconut oil
– 1 large tablespoon coconut flower sugar (more or less to taste)
– optional but good: 2 pinches or drops of vanilla.
1. Line the muffin tin with paper muffin cups.
2. Melt the chocolate au bain marie in a double broiler (or bring a pan with 2 inches of water to a boil. Take a bowl that’s slightly smaller than the pan, put it in the boiling water to melt the chocolate in). Add half the chocolate, 1 tbsp of coconut oil and optional a pinch of vanilla in the bowl. Let melt.
3. Spoon the melted chocolate in the cups. Use about 1,5 tsp voor each cup.
4. Put the muffin tin in the freezer for about 10 minutes to let set.
5. Mix the peanut butter with the sea salt and the sugar.
6. Get the tin out of the freezer and fill each cup with 1 tsp peanut butter in the middle (see picture above). Push the top a bit so it’s flat.
7. Now melt the other half of the chocolate like in step 2. and don’t forget the coconut oil and optional vanilla.
8. Pour 1-2 tsp of chocolate over each peanut butter filled cup. You want the peanut butter covered completely. Put the tin in the freezer for another 10 minutes until set.
9. You can now eat them or keep them in the fridge for a couple of days. Enjoy!
What are your favourite snacks that you would like to see veganized and perhaps healthier?
Bonus: Oh no…!